2014 Contest Winners (L to R): "Going To Work By The Disney Concert Hall, LA" by Tony Williams; "101 Pedestrian Overpass" by Kyu Kim; "Noam" by Hanna Oberman (youth winner)
Calling All Photographers!
The Palo Alto Weekly, Palo Alto Art Center and TheSixFifty.com are pleased to announce The Peninsula Photography Contest, open to all individuals who live, work or attend school in any city within the 650 area code.
Winning photos and those selected for exhibition will be displayed at the Palo Alto Art Center from May 19 to June 17, 2018. A reception for the winners will be held at the Palo Alto Art Center on May 24, 2018. Winning images will also appear on Palo Alto Online and its social media accounts and on TheSixFifty.com, as well as the Palo Alto Art Center’s publications, website, social media and promotions. A selection of winning photos will also be published in the Palo Alto Weekly.
Winners will be notified on or before April 28, 2018.
- Monday, April 2 at 11:59 p.m.
- Open to all photographers, including professionals, amateurs and hobbyists of all ages. Adults 18 and older must enter the adult division, while youth 17 and younger may enter either the youth or adult divisions.
- Entrants must live, work or attend school in any city within the 650 area code to enter (cities within 650 area code include those between South San Francisco and Sunnyvale, and the coastside).
- All submitted entries must be original work(s) created by the entrant and taken within the past 5 years (no earlier than January 1, 2013).
- Photographers may submit work which has previously been entered in other contests except photographs that have previously won an award are ineligible.
- Adult Division open to all photographers regardless of age. Youth Division open only to photographers age 17 or younger and current high school students who are 18.
- The same photograph may be entered in multiple categories, but may not be entered in both the youth and adult division. Entering the same photograph into, for example, 3 categories counts as 3 submissions. Limit of 10 entries per photographer.
- Contest categories include Portraits, The Natural World, Moments, Abstract, Life in the 650, and Travel (click on "Contest Categories" above for expanded descriptions of each category).
- Entrant agrees that the Palo Alto Weekly and The Six Fifty reserves in perpetuity the non-exclusive right to publish entries within print and online publication in all Embarcadero Media publications and social media accounts and Embarcadero Media promotions. Entrant agrees that the Palo Alto Art Center reserves the non-exclusive right to publish entries within the art center’s publications, social media accounts, email newsletter, website, and may be used for promotions.
- All photo submissions must be submitted online via this website (peninsulacontest.artcall.org) in digital (JPEG) format. Images sent by other means, including email and postal mail, will not be accepted.
- Any digital file created with digital cameras, smartphones, and images shot on film that have been scanned are acceptable. Both color and monochrome images will be accepted.
- Photos must meet the following requirements:
- At least 1,600 pixels wide (if a horizontal image) or 1,600 pixels tall (if a vertical image)
- Saved in JPEG format at 300 dpi
- Maximum file size of 4 megabytes per image
- RGB or sRGB format.
- Each photograph needs its own submission; the 3 attachments allowed per entry are for detail/close-up views of the submitted photo, not for the entry of three separate photos.
- Images that have been retouched using software or a smartphone photo editing app or by other means will be accepted. Contest organizers politely request that entrants not submit images incorporating smartphone camera filters such as those used within Instagram, Snapchat, etc.
- Winners may be requested to provide higher resolution images for exhibition.
Photos will be judged on originality, technical excellence, composition, overall impact, and artistic merit. After submission period concludes, four judges will select winners in each of the six categories in both the youth and adult divisions. Judges will also choose a “Best In Show” photograph as the overall contest winner. Approximately 12 additional photographs will also be chosen for exhibition.
Fees for Entry
- Adult Division: $5 to register + $5 for each entry (up to 10)
- Youth Division: No registration fee (use code YOUTH) + $5 for each entry (up to 10)
How To Register and Submit Artwork
Click on "How to Register and Submit Artwork" in the menu bar for instructions.